I think that blogs are a perfect tool to use to further a thought process, idea, explanation, hypothesis, or something that you noticed in the academic arena. While there are many blogs that are not about these things, like a food blog, book blog, or a play-by-play of a persons life blog, I am not really discussing these ones. But as a quick side note I think that it is amazing that people can find a blog for just about anything they are interested. This is one of the main reasons that bloggers become successful in blogging what they are passionate about as seen in an interview of famous blogger Jaime Derringer. Blogs written by critics, activists, and forward thinkers are what I am addressing. A video that I watched awhile ago sums up how blogs are a place that we can talk about and question things in blogging that we can't in any other place. As said in the video (around 3:15) blogging is a space that claims can be made and discussed before they become an actual fact on paper. This is why I love blogs. I think that it is extremely important for people to realize that is a claim until proven otherwise. I think that blogs can be helpful to start questioning things, get a creative thought process going that can then be thought about. So much idea for thought and action can come from blogs. I also like that typically the language that is used in blogs is usually easier to understand and just more fun to read than academics journals to be honest (again academia should confirm what is said before it becomes "fact"). This makes blogs sometimes feel more accessible and useful.
In return to bloggers, people can comment on others blogs and become a part of the thinking process. If there is a blog that is asking a question, (like the video brought up, is the Pope gay?) it is now open for public discussion and discourse can happen on the topic. This discourse and criticism is something that can happen maybe more openly on blogging sites that it may not be able to in others.
I realize that this discussion has focused on a very specific type of blog, but to be honest that is mostly what I read. From political blogs to feminist blogs, I mostly like readings other peoples rants and forward thinking thoughts. I think that it is a useful place to go for new insights that I can take further and more academic if I want. I think that is is an interesting place to have and read discussion that is I find valuable and other people do too. I feel like I have also explained my hesitations when it comes to reading blogs and what "good" blog looks like to me.
I enjoyed how you explained why you liked blogs personally. I liked the phrase at the beginning "academic witty banter". It is so true. People can blog about anything, and the readers can read about anything that entertains them. Though you do have to do some searching, but once you find the ones you enjoy it can change your mood instantly or even your outlook on life. It really can be a benefit to the reader and not just the blogger.
ReplyDelete