This blog topic is probably the one that I have known the least about this semester, and I think it is because I don't really put that much work into my own personal social media, but I can see the needs and potential benefits that organizations can get out of this. I might repeat a little from last week because that was about organizational communications and I feel like these two topics go hand-in-hand with one another. The only social media management platform that I have had experience with is Hootsuite and it is a very useful tool. When I used it I was an intern and most Mondays would be scheduling tweets for the rest of the week. When looking more into Hootsuite for this post I noticed that it will also help you track mentions that you have on Twitter. I think that this would have been very helpful to use as it was an organizational initiative to keep track of when we were mentioned in articles and other media and we had a master list that was open for everyone to add to when we saw that. I also used a few different tools to shorten URLs when I was writing tweets that had links. I sometimes even use this in my own social media if I need to. Shorter URLs mostly help with word count in twitter, but sometimes they just look better in a different post that I can't hotlink a word, or that won't post the link without the URL there. For both scheduling posts and shortening URLs there are many different forms and platforms available and from my experience there isn't too significant of a difference between them to have a favorite to use, but again I haven't needed to use either extensively.
While looking up things to talk about on this blog I found a social media management platform called Dashburst, and I was pretty impressed with what it could do. It has a lot of the analytic side that most platforms have but it also has the capabilities of connecting with all your forms of social media and "bursting" out one post to all of them. I could see this being useful in my own social media, because to be honest most of my Facebook posts are just shared from Instagram, and I am too lazy to make a whole other post in Twitter. With Dashburst you just make one and it sends out to others. Another feature is that is updates you and can even automatically post when artists, people, creators, that follow post something as well. I think that this is a nice feature because again it helps just take everything into one form of social media, while helping manage all of the other platforms as well. I can see this being extremely beneficial for organizations as well.
I enjoyed reading your blog post! I thought it was well written and particularly enjoyed the discussion on Dashburst. I also agree that occasionally I get quite lazy on my social media and it would be nice to update everything at once.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on this one Haylee--this was a harder topic for me as well, but one I learned more about by reading up on it. I have never heard of Dashburst, and it sounds like an interesting tool to use if you like to post on several different platforms. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI am with you on this one Haylee--this was a harder topic for me as well, but one I learned more about by reading up on it. I have never heard of Dashburst, and it sounds like an interesting tool to use if you like to post on several different platforms. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete