I went to the new business building here on USU's campus today and used one of the study rooms for a group project meeting. On the table were instructions on how to download an app on my computer that would then allow my computer to connect to the TV, similar to Bluetooth. The whole reason why I tell this story is because I am always confused when instructions call for me to download or look up an app on my PC, because I only ever think of apps as something that is only available on my phone. As we talked about earlier in the semester the shift of just the language that we use for things with social media shifts a lot and I think that this is one of those moments. I always think of apps as just being available on my phone. This language shift shows that there is an actual paradigm shift happening when it comes to apps and how we use them. Forbes even goes as far to say that the mobile browser is dead. I think that this is so true, in a sense that very few people use mobile browsers anymore and more and more businesses have apps that are specifically designed for their company. When I look up a business that I want to order something from, or do more than just see their hours (I would just google that), I would look for an app before I looked for their webpage. This is mostly because it is quicker for me to get to and the interface is actually meant for a phone and it is easier to access things.
Something that I find interesting about the graph that was in the Forbes magazine was that majority of the time that people spend on their phones is gaming. Maybe this is just shocking to me because I probably have two "game" apps on my phone that I only use sometimes. I think that gaming on your phone isn't ideal because the physical phone is small and I feel like there are things that would be better/easier to do on a PC or a phone. The graph in the article also shows the small amount of use that is in browsers, and I didn't even realize that there were browser options that weren't google, this is possible on a phone? As a consumer I probably under utilize apps, but I think that when it comes to using my phone, I still use apps way more that I use a browser.
Great Post Haylee! I like that you included your own opinion and experince with apps vs. online browser apps. I totally agree with the part that you said I always think of apps as just being available on my phone. I forget that apps aren't limited to just our cell phones. I definitely agree that I use apps way more than I use a browser. Great Post!
ReplyDelete