Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Search Engine Optimization

For this post, I honestly had to do a little more searching to find out what this weeks topic was actually about. A common theme that I realized through different subjects under the umbrella idea of search engine optimization is that they are all meant to target certain consumers, but more than that make a certain ease for consumers as well. In class, the backlogs of what companies do to target customers has come up frequently, and most of the class acts uneasy about this and are somewhat creeped out by how personal and specific it can get. Overall, I would argue that how specific they can get a target audience is a good thing, because it is a better experience for the consumer. I know that when there is an ad about something I find ridiculous it is annoying, but if more ads are more applicable to me than I am happier as a consumer and things are more convenient for me. I think that search engine optimization does a similar thing in making the experience of the consumer more convenient. Geotagging, while effective for a business because of customers based on location, is also more convenient for people searching for whatever service that business has to offer in that area. I also thought that it was somewhat ironic that when I googled "search engine optimization" there were a ton of paid advertising at the top....for of course, search engine optimization for companies who help other companies do search engine optimization stuff. Silly. Lastly, I think that newsrooms and infographics hold the same theme. They are made to make things more convenient as well as interactive for the targeted audience. A good infographic is going to catch a reader's eye and have specific synthesized information. The better it is at meeting that criteria the more effective it tends to be. Most search engine optimization tools all come down to the idea that it is mutually beneficial for companies and targeted audiences, because of the convenience for the business to advertise and the consumer to see and act on it.

2 comments:

  1. I love the irony you found in this. I had the same problem, I had to make my post far more specific to find something that fit. It was nice to hear someone say out loud that they are OK with the specificity of the internet. I think people complain about it, but don't always acknowledge how much they use that feature. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you take a different viewpoint, it is very true that a person is going to have a better experience on the internet if they see things that are actually relevant to their lives. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete