Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Insta: My Most Used

For this weeks blog I mostly wanted to talk about my main love of social media Instagram. Instagram is by far my most used social media outlet as most of my Facebook posts are just shared from my Instagram anyway. Here is a list of 10 reasons why I think Instagram is better than most social media accounts:
1: I love pictures and I think that pictures express more.
Unlike a whiny Facebook on status a good cat-frown picture can actually be pretty funny on Instagram. When I scroll through my Insta feed I can do more than just hear what people are doing I can actually see this. While I think that this can be obnoxious (because some people are really non-unique in their variety of pictures they choose to post) most of the time it is a good thing. It is always nice to keep diversity in posts. I love seeing what people are doing, what they are eating, what they find beautiful in nature, what they think is cute, maybe even some good quotes (this is pretty rare, it is hard not to be cliche on the interwebs). Seeing a picture expresses more than a status can and certainly more than a 140 character post (even if it includes a picture with the 140 character post)

2: Following/friending on Insta is a lot less judgmental, so it is easier for me to be a creeper.
We all love to creep and stalk on social media. But let's keep it at a an appropriate level. When I follow someone on Insta I feel like it is a lot easier than friending them on Facebook. There isn't a level of commitment that I feel like I have to have in order to friend someone otherwise. This is nice. Following and un-following is much easier on this social media. Less pressure is always good. 

3: That NatGeo account, duh.
For real. The NatGeo account is the best. There are clearly different photographers that are featured and you learn a lot about everything. I think that the captions are always a good length and they tie in well with the picture and just life all together. Sometimes there is some fierce pictures of animals that oddly gives you motivation or there is pictures of baby animals or something. I can go on for days. If NatGeo isn't your thing then here are some more popular accounts (NASA's account is pretty rad as well). 
4: News that is shared on Insta
I love CNN, BBC, and NPR's accounts! Especially NPR's. The videos are helpful and I feel like they go with the flow of a quick scroll as I am going through. With Facebook and Twitter I think that is is more difficult to stop and look at more than the headline, but with Insta I get a little more than just a headline but I also don't get sucked into reading a whole article. It is a good balance. If I want to know more then I just look it up on the independent apps usually. 

5: There is a page for everything
There is dogs of instagram, and so many more look up an account about something you like or a hashtag (which I will talk about in just a bit) and bam it is there. If you look under the discover tabs you can always find something that you think is cool and  again there is no shame in following it. 

6: Scrolling and skimming feels easier
I think that I have already mentioned this but scrolling it really simple and liking is simple and the whole app is user friendly. 

7: Captions are everything
Witty captions always make everything better and I always find the best captions on Insta. Whether is is just an emoji that is clever or a quote, or anything clever captions are always appreciated.  

8: Hashtags are judged less as well/hashtag hunting is actually fun
Hashtags can shamelessly be used and my favorite way to use them is as a side comment. It creates a nuance to the post that I feel just isn't possible in other areas. 

9: Filter use/Filter names
Filters make you feel like a real photgrapher and the right use of them can always make the picture look better. Getting the right use is the difficult part though. But! There is more to it. A Time article talks about how parents are starting to name their kids after filters that they have seen on instagram! Pretty buts and kind of cool. 

10: It's basically everything.
Yeah need I say more?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post! I have often wondered what is so great about Instagram and now I know. I am a late adapter on this one and quite a few social media accounts. Your post is really great because it is your opinion but has some great points backing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would've thought NASA is an Instagram user, I am looking to maybe finally join Instagram and I might've been converted just based off of your article! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete